Friday, January 28, 2011

January 26

Paul Newman

I have seen very few Paul Newman films. I know he is a great actor by reputation, liked racing, has beautiful blue eyes and has great charity food line. I actually do have a DVD with Paul Newman 2 to be exact, Cars and A Silent Movie.

For Mr. Newman's birthday I decided to watch The Sting. I remember when the film came out but was too young to watch the film in the theater. My mother had the album of the soundtrack. I always like The Entertainer and Scott Joplin's music. I think in the 1980's I tried to watch the film, but could not get past the strippers and language. I am older now and can handle things and accept things better.

Robert Redford plays a two-bit con with another man and end up taking money from a hoodlum. The hoodlum, Robert Shaw (with a great Irish accent) of course wants his money and the man killed. Robert's partner was killed and he make a run for it and meets up with someone that his partner trusted, Paul Newman. Robert wants revenge, he is not a killer but wants it to hurt, money and humiliation. Paul Newman starts out as a has been big league con and a drunk, working at a carousel ride. The carousal might actually be a front for a bordello, but I cannot quite tell. A lot of people don't like the hoodlum and did like the man that was killed. So the two of them decide to get to get a group together and get get their revenge. In one scene Paul takes Robert to the barber shop and there is a female manicurist. There is music over the action and Paul's look of amused disgust as Robert tries to charm her is great. There is con after con after con. Paul and Robert go to extreme lengths and expense to get the man with the perfect con with the hoodlums money to make things happen. When Paul beats Robert Stack by out cheating the cheater at cards he has a sweet smile of success on his face. The people you think are the good guys are bad guys and the ones you think are the bad guys are the good guys. I like that in a story. You never know what is going to happen. Paul Newman plays the character in serious playfulness or playful seriousness. What I mean by this is Paul takes what he does seriously but has a good time. No matter what happens he is going to enjoy the ride. Robert “why are you doing it?” Paul with a smile and a light in his eyes “it seems worthwhile doesn't it?”

My favorite scenes in the film involve Eileen Brennan. When she walks around the carousel warehouse, when she talks with the Charles Durning and when she is with the girls. There is one scene where she states that “things are a little slow tonight and I want to open the round for the girls”. The scene then goes to a running carousel with women in evening gowns in the inside row of the carousel. It is only a few seconds of film, but it makes me happy.

I was very tired and went to bed after one film. I woke up the next morning and ached literally from head to toe (even my fingers hurt). I called in sick and went right back to bed. Often times when I am sick, I lay on the couch and watch TCM and take naps. I felt so bad I went right back to bed. I woke up a few hours later feeling better but still achy. I was going to watch Sweet Bird of Youth, but the DVD was in such bad shape it didn't work. TCM will eventually show the film so I will have wait. I still have the Joplin songs playing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment