Friday, January 21, 2011

January 20

Happy Birthday to Patricia Neal, Fellini, George Burns and Noir Diva.

TCM had a birthday celebration for Patricia Neal. I messed up somehow on my recording and had part of Fountainhead and part of Psyche 59. The first time we see her in The Fountainhead she is throwing a statue out the window because she loves it so much she doesn't want to become attached to it. The scene where she and Gary Cooper see each other for the first time is the greatest romantic moment ever. The music swells (Max Steiner) you see them look at each other. Patricia has the wind blowing on her and her scarf and skirt swirl around and there is something in Gary's eyes. It is the same look that he has when he looks at his buildings. I have tried to read the book by Ayn Rand, but could never get all the way through. I will have to find the film to watch the rest, because Patricia's character, comes off as slightly odd to me. I don't want to say crazy, but she is peculiar, but then again aren't we all. When asked “what are you seeking” Patricia states “Freedom. To want nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing.” Later in the film she states to Gary “ you are everything I ever wanted. That's why I hoped I would never meet anyone like you.” One breath she says she never wants to see him again and the next she wants to marry him. The last I have of the film is Patricia marrying another man.

It has been a week of blogging and I have not missed a day. I have gone off my diet (girl scout cookies), but I have exercised 5 days out of the week. As the song goes 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment