Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31 Don Ameche

Happy Birthday to Don Ameche and Clint Eastwood

To celebrate Don Ameche’s birth I watched Heaven Can Wait. The film also stars Gene Tierney. Film directed by Ernest Lubitsch. When I saw this film as a child I found it somewhat disturbing. I don’t know why. I don’t know if it is the devil or hell or the thought of being old and dying.

Don Ameche plays an old man who has died and meets with the devil to decide his eternal fate. Don tells the story of his life though the women in his life. His mother, the French maids, the show girls, his wife, played by Gene Tierney, his nurse. He told the devil that he wanted to see one person but knew that she was in Heaven and he would be in Hell. It is the story of life: birth, childhood, growing up, living life, falling in love, marriage, having children, loss, aging and dying. He plays every age just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment