Tuesday, May 17, 2011

March 17 Nat King Cole

I celebrated Maureen O’Sullivan’s birthday 2 months early. Her birthday is May 17 and I celebrated March 17, or rather 19-20 when TCM showed a number of her films, like Tarzan The Ape Man and Hannah and her sisters. Two good films that are worth watching anytime. I am going to watch the films that TCM is airing today, but I have already done a blog.

To celebrate Nat King Cole’s birthday (March 17) I wanted to watch St. Louis Blues. Nat King Cole plays the great American composer W.C. Handy. I could not find a copy of the film. I may have to purchase this one. The film features Eartha Kitt, Cab Calloway, Ella Fitzgerald, Mahalia Jackson, Ruby Dee, Billy Preston and Pearl Bailey.

Several years ago there was a PBS documentary about Nat King Cole. The one thing that really fascinated me was that he sang in different languages: French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and probably several others, but those are all I remember.

The best way to celebrate Nat King Cole is to listen to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment