Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 14 George Lucas

For George Lucas’ birthday I watched Star Wars. Almost everyone on the planet has seen Star Wars. Trying to figure out a different way to talk about the film is tough. The great visual, sound and style of the film is well known. The great John Williams score brings such depth to the film.

I know it is considered chapter 4, but it will always be considered 1 to me. I have seen all 6 films, but the Original Star Wars will always be my favorite. This is the first film I remember seeing in the theater. The lobby theater was white with a lot of glass, glass panels on the stairway, large glass windows. As we walked up the balcony the sun coming in and bouncing off the white was very bright. There were plants on the floor and art hanging on the walls. A few years after the film came out (I don’t exactly remember when), my dad got a VHS machine. He got a copy of Star Wars for me. It was grainy and hard to see, but I could see every frame clearly in my mind. When we moved from Ohio to Kansas by best friend Debbie gave me a copy of the books (with pictures) as a going away present.

Seeing Mark Hamill for the first time in the desert with the music swelling, be still my heart. I had such a crush on him. As I watch the film, I realize my ex-husband looked like him. I had magazines, books, cards, t-shirts and my brother had action figures.

Star Wars is still alive all these years later. There are different version, more details of some of the characters but it still lives on. There are parodies, Robot Chicken, Spaceballs and The Family Guy to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment