Monday, February 21, 2011

February 17

Happy Birthday to Hal Holbrook and Alan Bates.

I went to library to get Zorba the Greek for Alan Bates. It was checked out. I went to find Far From the Maddening Crowd it was checked out. I went to find Bertie and Elizabeth but I could not find it. By this point I was really discouraged. I thought about going on to Hal Holbrook, but I really wanted to watch Zorba the Greek. I have tried to watch it in the past (I really like the music) but I could not get into the film. So I decided to wait till I could get Zorba on DVD to write the blog.

I recently saw Alan Bates in An Unmarried Woman. My friend had a copy and we watched to celebrate Jill Clayburgh's life at New Years. He was really good in that film. He played a divorced artist who really cared for Jill and wanted to be a part of her life. I have to admit I really didn't understand the ending of the film, but it was enjoyable.

I finally got Zorba the Greek on DVD (2/20). I must be having an off day. I watched 6 films and only was able to get into 1 and that 1 was not Zorba the Greek. Alan Bates, Anthony Quinn and the whole cast were very talented. The photography and music were great. But the story to me just dragged and most of the film I did not understand. I guess I liked the ending best were the men were dancing and the music was playing. That may be the only thing I really understood about the whole movie. Anthony Quinn said “A man needs a little a little madness or else... he never dares cut the rope and be free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment