Thursday, February 10, 2011

Enjoyable films but don't understand

For Robert Wagner's Birthday (2-10) I watched Harper. There is an all star cast lead by Paul Newman, featuring Robert Wagner, Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris, Arthur Hill, Janet Leigh, Pamela Tiffin, Strother Martin and Shelley Winters. The photography is interesting, the sets are nice and the story is interesting with great dialog. I liked the movie, but I don't get the film. The fact that I did not get the film doesn't detract from it's greatness. That got me to think about a few other films I enjoy but don't really understand.

There are so many things in Blazing Saddles I don't get. I think it is funny, well acted and deserves to be in the top 10 on film lists. I am a big fan of Mel Brooks but there are a lot of things in his films I don't understand, but I laugh out loud anyway. Comedy doesn't have to make sense to be funny.

The Loved One is the most disturbing, disgusting, confusing and yet the most beautiful film I have ever seen. I won't go into all the aspects of the film, but the b&w photography is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment