Monday, July 25, 2011

July 13 Harrison Ford


To celebrate Harrison Ford’s birthday I watched Blade Runner. It took a while to get. The library has 3 copies and they are always reserved or checked out. The film starts out with a prologue, (high points listed), “Advanced robot evolution virtually identical to humans called Replicants. The Replicants were used for off world slave labor in the hazardous exploration and colonization of other planets. After a bloody mutiny the Replicants were declared illegal. Police squads, Blade Runner Units, had orders to shoot to kill, upon detection. It was not called execution. It was called retirement.” I liked that and settled in for a good film. The film is set in Las Angeles in 2019. There were great special effects. The set designer threw in everything in the sets. The sets were very busy with background. There were a lot of people everywhere. I really didn’t get the story. I can understand the Replicants and the Blade Runner Unit, but I think I missed something. Ford as a police man or Blade Runner was very focused and intense.

I think Rutger Hauer had the best line in the film “…all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain“. He said this after he saved Ford and then his soul or he himself turned into a bird then expired or was shot. I watched this scene several times trying to figure it out.

My mother’s birthday is also July 13. She is a few years younger than he. When Star Wars originally came out 1977 (and the other films) she would not go. My Dad took my brother, a few family friends and I. When the special edition of the films were released she agreed to go because of Harrison Ford and I could only get her to see Star Wars and not the other two. My mom does not like to go to movies by herself. If my Dad or I do not go with her she states she will watch it on cable, by that time she generally forgets what she wanted to see. I went with her to see Working Girl and Sabrina. For the record I am not going to see Cowboys & Aliens. I enjoy both actors work, but there is no way I am going to see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment