Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 13 Howard Keel

Happy birthday to Stanley Donen and Howard Keel.

For Howard Keel’s birthday I watched Kiss Me Kate. It is actually a left over from Ann Miller day on the 12th. I finally figured out why I don’t like this musical. Timing. The stage version isn’t in a sequence I can follow. I can follow the beginning and the end but the middle part confuses me. It seems like an intermission and Kathryn Grayson is out of makeup and back in street cloths but performs after intermission. Then a day or so later she leaves to get married. She leaves at the end of the performance but comes back for the big finale the next day. I also do not care for Shakespeare.

Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson play musical performers who used to be married. A new show comes up Kiss Me Kate and Howard wants Kathryn to play the lead opposite of him. He still loves her but can’t admit it to himself let alone to her. He has pictures of the two of them on his piano in characters they have portrayed in the past. His current girlfriend Ann Miller is using him to further her career. She is in love with someone else. Howard has a great baritone voice and looks good in his costume and makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment